Friday, June 22, 2007

Precious Memories Flood my Soul


There was a big send off for Joey Broughman at Lynagh's on Wednesday night. Wow! What a blast! No doubt Joey approves. By the end of the night the floor was a sticky mess with beer splashed on the floor! "Oh my God! I haven't seen you for years!" SPLASH! "Let's dance to this song like we did at the Dead Show back in '92!" SPLASH!
Around 11 or so, I walked through the room and I practically had to grab my legs to lift them because my rubber flip flops were adhering to the floor. Oh yes! A good time was had by all.
I knew Joey best back in the early 90's. At the time I was working at Lynagh's Music Emporium where Joey did a variety of tasks from bar tending and guarding the door to acting as Minstrel in the "John Lynagh Show". What a time it was. Nearly every night was a raucous good time as local and national acts took to the tiny stage to rock our world. At the end of the night we mopped up the sticky floors, cleaned all the surfaces, counted our money, then had our own after hours party. Those were some of the best times I've had. I don't know if I've ever found myself laughing so frequently. Joey was often at the center of it. He had this dry and cutting but completely love able wit. Put he and Mike Tevis together in a room and it was all over except for the laughing.
I ended my tenure at the Emporium on the day that I found out I was pregnant with Murphy. The lifestyles just didn't mesh. Even without the second hand smoke, lifting kegs and standing for hours, it just wasn't gonna be so great anymore. I'd need to go home at the end of the night, not stay up late hanging with the rest of the staff.Where's the fun in that? So,I gave that night's coveted shift to one of the Studmuffins and I was done.
I attended lots of shows at the Emporium after I was no longer employed there. First step in the door...there was Joey, always so happy to see me, always making me feel special. I think Joey just had the gift for making everyone feel special. Evidence of that lies in the hoards of people that showed up at Lynagh's on Wednesday night.
Yes, it was a Memorial befitting Joey. Joey was first and foremost a musician. His knowledge of music was deep but I do know he loved Dylan, Keith Richards,and The Dead. The musical guests started playing "Joey favorites" at 7 and didn't stop until 1 in the morning. There was dancing, joke telling and reminiscing. Cocktails and beer flowed freely. There were tears but mostly there was laughter.
Joey was a true rock star and we'll miss him something fierce.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Well put Loll. In my "formative" years I recall a smidge of insecurity as I'd enter the doors of Lynagh's. Joey always flashed that smile that made you rest at ease and chill.

Anonymous said...

Joey was the man! I owe the best of my music taste to him. You're right about the smile, it was both inviting and calming. The last time I saw someone I knew from Lexington in Louisville (just recently) I asked about Joey, a week after he passed away. Made it clear to me that his spirit lives.

wildhorses said...

Aloha
I'm in the same space- I loved Joey's- laugh the twinkle in his eyes. The way he always had a Bob saying written of the chalk board at Lynagh's Music Club. I know he is on the other side making music with Laughter. Hugs to U A. Leigh

bims said...

This is Joey's sister or as I was always introduced growing up "Broughman's little sister". I just wanted to say how much it has meant to me and my family to read all the wonderful things everyone has had to say. It's nice to know everyone loved my big brother. He was always there for me and it's not gonna be easy now, but somehow all the thoughts, comments and efforts everyone has put into words or actions to pay him tribute has made my heart feel a litte lighter. Thanks again and Gina says there's going to be another show around his birthday, I look forward to seeing all his friends again then.